Saturday, 9 March 2013

Trouble tempts me...


I rarely do proper reviews, I know it’s weird, bear with me. I’ve not only reviewed Tempted by Trouble, but have Marco and Pippa on the blog today, along with their creator. They ain’t happy chappies. I’ve let them ask their questions and put Michelle Smart in the hot seat!

Disclosure. Tempted by Trouble was gifted to me by the publisher for an honest and unscripted review. I do know Michelle, and I am a huge fan of her writing which is why I was thrilled to be offered the chance to be one of the first to read her book.

Yeah, it's hot. Read on, peeps.

Here’s the blurb:

Socialite Pippa Rowantree has always provided excellent fodder for the UK’s gossip rags. After another unfortunate scandal sends the gossips into a feeding frenzy, her shamed family retaliates by forcing her into hiding at old family friend, Marco Capello’s lush Caribbean estate—literally the last place on earth she wants to be.

As far as Marco’s concerned, wild child Pippa has ruined his life once and he’ll be damned if he lets her do it again. But it’s hard to reconcile the adolescent he knew with the mature, beautiful woman who stands before him. Soon he's questioning if everything the media is claiming about Pippa is the truth, or if he should trust his heart. 

My review:

Pippa Rowantree’s life really can’t get any worse. Since her mother died, her father shunned her and all her attention seeking attempts publically ruined her reputation. Tempted by Trouble begins with Pippa flying out to the Caribbean to stay with her childhood crush to recover from an assault.

Marco Cappello absolutely loathes Pippa, and he has very good reason to. He only agreed to take Pippa in because his mother begged him. He’s Pippa’s opposite in many ways, growing up in a loving family and having to struggle hard to become the way hotter version of Bill Gates. 

Having never known love since her mother’s death, Pippa keeps her emotions hidden from everyone—especially Marco. He still sees her as the wild adolescent who almost ruined him, not the hardworking woman who struggles to make ends meet. But Pippa has a backbone made of steel. She doesn’t bow down to his knee shaking presence and accusations like I would have. There were times, when he admonished her, I’d have happily run away if it were me ;o).

Eventually, Marco begins to believe her, and help her in ways he’d tried to do since she was a sad little girl at his aunt’s wedding. It’s not just compassion he feels though, there’s still a lot of distrust on his part and a raging desire between them that both refuse to act on for very different reasons. And you’d think after all that simmering tension an explosive bout of sex on a piano would diminish it right? Wrong, it just cranks it higher.

Okay, so I don’t risk spilling it all I’ll stick to why Tempted by Trouble blew my mind, made me giggle, and run off for a couple of cold showers. Michelle has this beautiful flowing voice that drags you into the story and holds you hostage. The simmering sensual tension inherent through every story of hers I’ve read has my heart hammering in my chest each time. The deep emotional connection she creates between Marco and Pippa not only in the present time, but how she shows it winding through both their lives since they first met eighteen years before is simply beautiful and extremely addictive.

I’d highly recommend this book to all readers and lovers of romance worldwide. It’s the perfect escape from the gloomy winter. Be warned though, you may need tissues!

Since I like to do these things a little differently, I got Marco & Pippa in to interview the author. After dragging her kicking and screaming some persuasion, Michelle agreed to answer their questions. Let’s just say Marco & Pippa were not as thrilled with their story initially as I was.

Right guys, you have Michelle’s undivided attention. What do you want to ask her?

Marco: Perhaps you could begin by explaining why you hate us. Is an author not supposed to love her characters? Using my mother to emotionally blackmail me was an underhand move. I have to say I expected more from you.

Pippa: That question has been playing on my mind also. You have given me a horrendous past and I’ve had to deal with so much, now you’re carting me off on a plane to his home.

Marco: I cannot imagine how horrendous it must have been being born into a family who could afford to give you everything your heart desired.

Michelle: Oh you poor things. Of course I don’t hate you. I adore you. Even when you’re whining.

Now Marco, your mother may have emotionally blackmailed you, but it was for a good cause, and by the end of the book you will see that.

Pippa, I’m sorry your past is so traumatic and if I could do anything to change it, I would… oops, too late!

Marco: I suppose you cannot hate me completely, you have made me very successful and my Caribbean home is exactly where I would have chosen eventually.

Pippa: I do not think putting us together for the purpose of a romance novel is an intelligent thing to do.

Marco: At last, something we can agree on.

Michelle: Pippa, it’s not a very ‘intelligent’ thing to do, to whine at your creator, is it? Did you not know the pen is mightier than the sword? Do you not realise I could write a follow-up book and ‘accidentally’ give you a nasty dose of food poisoning? Or make you carry triplets and, when they’re born, deny you any sleep for eighteen years? Think on.

Now Marco has the right way of thinking – yes, I have been good to you. So stop your whining.

Aimee: Now I’m all for castrating the characters, but this has even me shaking in my Jimmy Choos.

Marco: The second these two weeks are up, she’s going straight on a flight back to England.

Pippa: I was merely sent here to recover after the attack. I can leave and heal elsewhere.

Marco: I am sure causing a man grievous bodily harm requires a great deal of healing.

Pippa: You really don’t care about my injuries do you?

Marco: If I believed that you had been…

Michelle (cutting in impatiently): Oh for heaven’s sake, you two are worse than my children. I put you in one of the most beautiful locations in the whole wide world, and all you do is moan. I give up!

Marco & Pippa have no further comments.

Nor do I. Yes, she puts these two through the ringer, but they both come out on top. This is one of those stories that will stay with me forever, and if you fancy getting your hands on it, sadly you will have to wait until tomorrow. The bright side? You can pre-order now!

Buy Links

Visit Michelle Smart's website: http://www.michelle-smart.com
Twitter: @chellebellwrite

Make sure to stop by near the end of the month where I have a fantastic week long competition. Every day I’ll be sharing snippets from some fabulous books, Tempted by Trouble included. There’s a chance to win seven gift cards and a huge bundle of books. Hope to see you all there!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment