Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Meet Emily Wood, debut Beachwalk Babe!

I’ve snagged debut Beachwalk Press author, Emily Wood, for an interview. Business and Pleasure is out now and you can find it via the link below. Here’s a little more about Book one in the Rags and Riches Series. 

Business and Pleasure by Emily Wood

Can mixing business and pleasure ever result in a happy ending?
When sexy, rich Lawrence Russo asks Mia to come and work for him in Italy for two weeks, she jumps at the chance. After all, it beats pole dancing, and the salary he offers her is practically obscene.
A relationship quickly begins to develop between the two, but Mia can't help but wonder if Lawrence's feelings for her are genuine or if he feels he's just paying for a service.
Even if their relationship is strong enough to survive her insecurities, what will happen when somebody from her past shows up and threatens to reveal her deepest, darkest secret?
Here’s a cheeky excerpt to get your juices flowing…
Lucy looked around nervously. "What's wrong?" she asked.
"I…don't know," Mia admitted. Perhaps she was just being paranoid.
"Mia." She heard a familiar drawl coming from the shadows. Her heart raced in anticipation as she turned to see the speaker. He walked out of the shadows and toward them like a jaguar stalking his prey, but Mia didn't feel intimidated, only excited by his presence.
"You shouldn't go sneaking around in the darkness. You could give a girl a fright." Mia laughed.
"I could leave, if that would please you," he purred. She loved the way he emphasized please. He gave no indication that he was going to leave. Mia was glad.
"Er, maybe I'll just go wait around the corner," Lucy said awkwardly. Mia nodded to acknowledge her, feeling a little guilty, because she had actually forgotten Lucy was still there.
"So, what are you doing here?" Mia tried to seem nonchalant, despite the fact that her body was having some kind of chemical reaction to his presence.
As if from nowhere, the handsome man produced the bottle of champagne he had purchased earlier that night. "I do believe we have plans to share this." He took a step closer to her.
"Oh. I would, it's just we aren't supposed to socialize with the clients outside of the club," Mia said teasingly, although it was technically true.
"Tell me, Mia, do you always do what you're supposed to do?" It seemed as though he had expected her reaction.
"No, I guess not."
"I've been watching you, Mia."
"I've noticed." She took a step in his direction and looked challengingly into his dark eyes. "So, do you like what you see?"
They were close enough to touch, and Mia's every nerve was tingling, hoping to feel his fingers on her skin. He swayed forward and, for a moment, she thought he was going to kiss her, but he leaned toward her ear instead. "I have a business proposition for you," he breathed, sending a shiver through her body before he pulled away from her.
It took Mia a moment to compose herself, and his eyes sparkled with amusement, no doubt he was enjoying her confusion. "Business…a business proposition?" Mia attempted to sound as casual as she possibly could.
"I'm returning to my home in Tuscany tomorrow," he announced.
Mia felt her heart sink, but was determined not to let it show. "Oh, it must be beautiful in Italy this time of year. But what does that have to do with me?"
"I was hoping you would accompany me."
 


Interview:

1.      Tell us about your new release.

Business and Pleasure is the first in a series, Rags and Riches. Mia works as a pole dancer in a club in London until sexy, rich Lawrence Russo offers her a chance to come and work for him in Italy for two weeks, but as a relationship begins to develop between them Mia worries that he feels he’s just paying for a service, even if their relationship can survive her insecurities, what will happen when somebody from Mia’s past turns up and threatens to expose her deepest, darkest secret?

2.     Can’t wait to find out! What was your inspiration for this story?

Well the idea for the series as a whole came originally from a short story that I wrote, but I knew I just had to go into more detail and write about all the characters individually. The main characters in this story had been in my head for a while, but I wanted to create the kind of atmosphere where the relationship was quite intense and they were seeing each other all the time, which is why I decided to set it in Italy as a two week set-up.

3.     How long have you been writing with the hopes of publication?

I suppose I started really studying the market and writing seriously a couple of years ago but I only had the guts to start submitting to publishers about a year ago.

4.     I hear you. Hitting send for the first time is terrifying. What genres do you write in, and what appeals to you about those genres?

Contemporary romance and I’m just beginning a historical romance. I love contemporary because of the freedom you have when creating the plot and the characters, you can look at anything around you and usually create a story from it. I love historical because I love looking at some of the great events that have taken place in the past and knowing that it isn’t just a story, people lived and loved through those things, and anything you might write might not really be that far from the truth.

5.     What are you working on now?

I’m working on the rest of the ‘Rags and Riches’ series, all in different stages of completion. As previously mentioned I’m also working on a historical romance. I feel it’s got a really strong love story which is most important, but I’m also really committed to getting the facts right, so a lot of research is going into this.

6.     Can you describe your daily writing routine?

I wish I had one! I live the most hectic lifestyle right now, so I have to fit writing in whenever I can. I do always try to do a minimum of an hour a day, sometimes I do a lot more. I think my resolution for the New Year will definitely be to try and organize my time a bit better so I get to write more every day.

7.     I hear you! Squeezing in the time to write is a nightmare, but a necessity :) What genres do you enjoy reading?

Well I obviously enjoy romance :) contemporary and historical being my favorite. But to be honest I love reading most things. Whenever I read something truly amazing I make sure that the next book I read is of a completely different genre, because otherwise I compare things too much to enjoy it properly. By doing this, I’ve found myself enjoying things I never would have expected to read.

8.    Where do your best ideas come from?

Probably from people watching, which I do a lot. I love it when you hear a snippet of conversation which leaves you wondering what on earth they were talking about, my imagination runs wild and a lot of characters are born this way. Sometimes ideas just come from seeing a picture, or hearing something on the news.

9.     Where can my readers find you?

You can follow me on twitter @EmilyWoodAuthor or you can follow my blog here http://emilywoodauthor.blogspot.co.uk/

10.Where can my readers find your books?

Emily is on tour this month with Shades of Rose Marketing. Click on the tour banner to see a list of her other stops. 
About the Author:

I have always believed that the best stories are the ones that you can't put down, the ones that transport you to a different place and make you believe in the characters. This is exactly why I write… I have always loved the escapism that reading and writing provides, and there is nothing more exciting than imagining your own set of characters, and then letting them practically write the story for you. Writing has always been a dream of mine, and I'm lucky to have the kind of people around me that have always nurtured and encouraged my passion.

I live a cozy little life in Wales, and when I'm not writing I'm taking care of my young family, studying for a degree in Classical Studies, and training to become a nail technician. I love traveling to new places, meeting new people, and experiencing new things…it's all great inspiration for my books!
Site    

4 comments:

  1. Huge congrats on your debut, Emily!!! The book sounds great! And I love your cover. Wishing all the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete