Sunday, 18 November 2012

Hot Picks, part 2

It’s that time of the month again, though I admit I’ve struggled to find something to top the vampy nail polish. 

I do have a craft book I’d like to share. Now please note I’m not one for reading craft books, in fact I’ve only read Stephen King’s “On Writing” until now. I prefer to learn from example. But THIS, I have to share.  

The Emotion Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglisi 
I haven’t read it all yet, but I’m finding it very handy during edits. Basically, the idea is to help find ways to express character emotion through actions and feelings, rather than telling the reader the character ‘felt’ a certain emotion. 

It also goes into clichéd emotions and melodrama. There are lots of examples to help these things make sense and show you exactly what they are.  

Plus there’s a dictionary of emotions there with the meaning of the emotion, a list of examples of the reactions one might have when feeling the emotion and examples. All in all, I’d say this book is definitely a keeper. I only wish I’d picked the paperback instead of the Kindle edition. Would make flicking back and forth so much easier.  

The Only Way is Essex
Where to start? I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this show. It’s supposed to be a show following the ‘real’ lives of a group of people who live in Essex, yet there’s more drama than a soap opera. It can be addictive, it can get on my nerves, but when it’s on I watch it. 
Why, you ask? Well, because I’m stunned and fascinated that there are people in the world who actually live like this. I know a lot of what they do is more than likely scripted to an extent, but all the fake tan/lashes/nails/boobs/noses, the barely there skirts and outrageous outfits intrigue me.  

Up here in freeze-your-tits-off Scotland, when we dress for a night out it’s far too cold to leave it all hanging out although there are still a few who are begging for hypothermia, but I’ve never seen dressing up to this extent. Which is probably why I watch TOWIE, though whether it’s ‘hot’ is a different matter.
And I’ve not had much surfing/shopping time to come up with something else. I’m knee deep in revisions for Flirting With Trouble. Once I’m done, I’ll more than likely be back to my usual procrastinating self.
*Scurries back to the revisions cave*
Have a great Sunday! 
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment