Monday, 19 March 2012

Revisions – Love ‘em or hate ‘em?

I’ve just jumped into a bunch of revisions on a wip I sent to an Editor. Looks like the ‘writing two at a time will have to wait’

I actually received these suggested revisions last week and have spent the entire weekend wondering what the best way to tackle them was. Before, when I revised a partial with suggested revisions from Mills and Boon, I had to re-write the whole thing again, only managing to salvage one scene. I actually loved revisiting my characters and enjoyed writing the story again.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to tweak a few scenes for this story to make them fit, but the start will need to change, as will my hero and his motivations.

So, yesterday I decided to re-write the whole thing from scratch and salvage any scenes I can. (Probably giving myself more work than necessary) but I think it will be the cleanest way to go. The verdict is still out on whether I'll love doing this or hate it. So far, the first chapter was good fun to write.

Of course, if anyone has any suggestions or wants to share their method, I’m all ears ;o)

10 comments:

  1. You'll get there Aimee - rewriting from scratch can feel like a massive ache but I promise you it's worth it. Whatever you do though, don't delete the original as you never now when some of the scenes might come in handy with the rewrite.
    Good luck xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely keeping hold of the old one, just in case :o). I'll probably pinch loads and just tweak it slightly. xxx

      Delete
  2. Are you entering the Romace fast track, Aimee?

    Happy revising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not this year. Wish I could, have two stories I started, one I really wanted to enter, but then the R & R came and my free time vanished. What about you? x

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on being asked to do revisions, that's fantastic! I've only been asked to do revisions once, for a full ms, and I ended up doing a complete rewrite (which then got rejected...boo hoo!) I'm with you - rewrite is the cleanest way to go.

    Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the R Madeline. I know its a risk, but I'm still going for it. Sucker for punishment :o)
      x

      Delete
  4. Depends on the type of re-writing. I hate the overhauls, because I always feel boxed in by what's already on the page. So, I trick myself. I copy and paste the ms into another document. I write what needs to be there and add in what I already have in bits and pieces or large chunks. The problem is usually small and I don't have to re-work a lot. But there's something about fixing a blank page that helps me fix the ms. Go figure.

    Good luck with the revisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Melissa. I've been writing with the other wip open, trying to figure out what bits I can pinch lol. Not much so far though, as you've seen from the first chapter. :o)

      Delete
  5. Yay - good news about those revisions.

    (And I've tagged you over on my blog - but only accept if you have time.)

    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay, off to your blog to see what that means lol

      xx

      Delete